Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bradley Taylor Thornton

I think Ive tried to start this blog entry about 100 times since I started blogging. Its a tough subject for me as well as for many other people. 2002 and 2003 was a terrible year for teen drivers. Many teens lost their lives for reckless decisions. Unfortunately I was directly affected by this along with many others. Bradley was one of my best friends in high school, and at some point our relationship went beyond friendship, although we never made it official, well at least not technically. VERY few people understand the relationship that Bradley and I had. Luckily the most important people do and that includes my husband because he was friends with both of us. I had been dating a guy for a while and then Bradley and I started talking. Course I was back and forth because I was comfortable with the guy I had been dating and did not want to hurt him by breaking up with him. Well he went off to college my senior year and Bradley and I became very close that year.  We spent most of our spare time together. He was the first person I got into a car accident with. Funny huh? I rear ended his car. His mama said I was trying to check out his rear end but he didnt go when I thought he was gonna and wham. Yep, pulled off to the side of the road I was hysterical and his mom showed up hugging me and the cop asked if she was my mom. I said no shes his and the cop laughed. So of course my mom was furious when I got home. When Bradley called he talked to my mom. The only thing Brad was worried about was if I could still go to the movies with him that night! (Luckily I could). We went to dances together and went to the fair together. Alot of good times. A friend of mine and I would take his car while he was at football practice and get food from Sonic. Course he ALWAYS found out because I never put the seat back but he didnt care. If you would have asked me then I was gonna marry him and we were going to join the Air Force together and travel the world together. "Our" movie was Remember the Titans. He looks sooo  much like the guy that played Gary Burtier. The lips and the smile even the way he was built. So he called me his sugar and he was my superman. Well Long story short my ex proposed and I said yes so that ended the whole Me and Bradley thing. I know how selfiish is that. I was very much in love with Bradley but my fiance was who I was settling with because him and I had been together for so long. I loved him but wasnt in love with him... he was my first... well alot of things. Anyways. This blog is not for him. Two weeks after graduation I got a phone call at around 8:15 am on June 8th, 2003. It was his mama Ms. Kris. She told me he was in a car accident and was killed. I was shocked... speechless.. she explained to me what had happened. It was late Sat. night June 7th Bradley and his friend Keith were passengers in a car driven by another teen driving too fast. It had been raining so the roads were wet. The sheriff's dept. estimated her speed to be 70-85 mph in a 45 mph zone.At around 11:30pm the driver lost control going into a curve on William Few Parkway in Appling Georgia. The car slid sideways over 265 ft. slammed into a tree, spun around up an incline and caught fire. Bradley and Keith died in the fire. Bradley had 10 broken ribs and mutiple internal injuries, Keith had no injuries. We only pray they both were unconsious at the time. The driver walked away with only minor injuries. The driver was already breaking the law by having passengers in the first 6 months of having a license. She only had her license 11 days. It was tough for me... I remember arranging his memorial for his mom. Setting up the music, picking the songs, finding pictures. The part that stands out most in my mind was when the memorial started I was standing in the back of the funeral home. His mom took my hand and sat me next to her younger son Gregory. I was part of the family. My heart melted and broke all at the same time. I can remember little Gregory (who isnt little anymore LoL) reaching over and held my hand. It was a nice memorial service. I spoke (with the help of a friend who held my hand), football coach spoke, they played taps for when he was in JROTC. It was all in all very nice. Im not sure of the words to say that would do him or the way I felt about him justice. It took me a very long time to come to terms with my loss. I threw myself into to work, I broke up with my then fiance. I went on a beach trip with my husband and his family (when we were just friends) that summer. Good choice to.. he helped me unwind and let me know everything is gonna be ok. I moved away to minnesota and when I came back I was still not able to totally grasp the fact that he was gone. I seen a therapist to help me sort out so many feelings I had. Bradley has been the reason it has taken me years to completely love someone like I did him. I do now of course but it has taken a while and took breaking down some walls. Always afraid to love someone that much to have them taken away from me in a moment. But I know now at the end of the day my angel is watching over me. And for that I am blessed. Here are some pictures...  Sorry this is so scattered I just had to get something out. I miss him alot and love him very much still. He will always have a special place in my heart. I love you Superman!  
















2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love u Jenn! We've talked about what this blog says a bunch of times and it still makes me cry...

Jennifer said...

I love you too Christi.. thanks for keeping up with my blog!!! <3 I miss you!!! Hope to see you soon!!! Wishing lil handsome Hayden a Happy Birthday in heaven!!! I love ya chick!!!